The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides a variety of online services to help people carry out various processes pertaining to the California DMV. Online services such as renewal of vehicle registration, renewal of driver’s license, copy of driving record and much more can be done without having to visit the California DMV offices. This saves people a lot of time and effort as the entire process can be completed from the comforts of their home or office.
The Department of Motor Vehicles will check all the data that is provided by you during the renewal process and therefore there will be a delay of about 1 week before the new driver’s license will reach you. It is therefore important to plan accordingly and ensure that the application for the renewal of license is done at least a few days before the expiry of the current driver’s license.
Requirements to renew your California Driver’s License online
- A PC or laptop with a stable and secure internet connection
- Your current Driver’s License ID.
- Online Payment option
- Not have a change of address
- To renew your California Driver’s License, go to www.dmv.ca.gov.
- Under Online Services, click on ‘Renew My Driver’s License’
- Details regarding the online renewal process will be displayed on screen
- Read the details carefully before you start the renewal process
- Click on ‘Renew My Driver License’ button located at the bottom of the page to start the renewal process
- Enter your User ID and password to log in to the website and go to step 11
- If you have not registered at the website, click on ‘Register’ button
- Enter the following details for registration
- Preferred User ID
- Preferred Password
- Email address
- Security questions and answers
- Driver License ID
- Date of Birth
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Driving License Issuing Date
- Click on ‘Register’ to complete the registration process
- Now login to the website using your newly created User ID and Password
- Answer the questions on screen and ensure that you provide the correct details
- The information provided by you will be verified and the process of renewal will continue.
- Follow the instructions on screen carefully to complete your renewal process.
- You will receive a confirmation mail upon successfully filing your online renewal request.
- You will receive your new driver license in a week in the mail.